2017 Catching up and starting over.

February 24, 2017

2017 Catching up and starting over.

It's been a while since we posted about our cars, and with all that has gone on I feel it is long overdue.

Last season ended on a sour note. After the SCCA Cincinnati Regionals we started having a lot of issues with the car stalling and just not running right. We ended up missing several races and after finding a broken lead inside of our distributor we thought we had solved the issues.

We couldn't have been further from the truth. When we brought the car up to the Empire Hill Climb in September, the car seemed to be running great and it sounded nice with its new exhaust system. After we made it through tech and it was time to head to the grid, the car threw a check engine light. The crank sensor wasn't giving us any signal. After chasing down a red herring for a while, we packed it up for the season and headed home.

Once we had time to fully troubleshoot the issues with the car we found nothing wrong with our two new distributors and our wiring was reading fine. I cracked into my ECU and found charring on some components on one side of the circuit board. This had to be the issue, so I found another ECU and re-worked the components to fit our piggyback on the board (as well as replace old capacitors). DRAT the car wouldn't start, one of the connectors was loose and the ECU went into an error mode of some sort. After letting the ecu sit unplugged for a couple days and checking to make sure nothing was damaged, we hooked everything back up and the car fired right up. Success!

Leading into our 2017 season, we are still working on a schedule and one will be posted as soon as I have everything somewhat planned out.

In other news we recently sold the Nissan Stanza (Monarch Mobile) and picked up a 1991 Chevy Camaro Z28 305 5 speed project so look for more on that soon!




Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.